Monday, January 25, 2010

Other Crafty Endeavors

So for Christmas my wonderful, loving, thoughtful husband bought me cake decorating lessons. Then during Christmas break he proposed that we start a "wellness challenge" that banned sweets and desserts for three months. Still wonderful, loving, and thoughtful? Definitely. Good at making appropriately timed decisions? Maybe not.

I lost the pictures to my first cake and am still debating if it's worth paying $50 for retrieval software to get them back. Meanwhile, here are some cupcakes and the third and final masterpiece will be created this Friday. It's ironic that I dominated the roses on my first try, yet for the life of me cannot master a simple scalloped edge. Blah.

I'm pretty proud of my roses... All those years of sculpey making are finally paying off! If you don't know what sculpey is you are clearly not nerdy enough. Please be proud. (as a disclaimer, I did not make the lovely green leaves which really 'make' the roses, my teacher did, as a nicety to me.)

I followed the cupcake decorator set box's directions on "pull out stars" on this one... not really sure what the effect was supposed to be... crazy electrocuted lots of frosting?






As you can see I got lazy with the amount of colors to use. I've realized that is more the issue with decorating than anything... all the lard, sugar, and mixing involved. I'm soooo glad Matt got me 100 disposable frosting bags so I don't have to wash them out every time. Thanks for the tip to my favorite Jen for that one!


7 comments:

Rozlynn's Homemade Goodness said...

Jen I am so impressed by what a domestic goddess you have become. I would love to learn how to make perty cupcakes. You go girl!

Jenny said...

That is amazing!!! Apparently you have TONS of hidden talents! My b-day is June 24th, just so ya know! ;)

becks said...

I think you've just convinced me to take cake decorating lessons, too! Those cupcakes looked even better in person!

Unknown said...

Jen...Jen...Jen. Clearly it's been WAY too long since we've talked. Cake decorating? I love it! They look so good. I don't think I could do better...and I paid many thousands of dollars for my cake decorating lessons. ;) Shoot.

Asian Keng said...

Sam it has indeed been too long. And your cake decorating lessons landed you a swanky job with a top swanky culinary business... I don't think my Wilton Class 1 certificate from Michaels will land me the same. ;) But I have to say I deeply and much appreciate your praise... it means a lot to me!

Jnuck said...

Funny, I don't remember giving you any such tip, but I'm glad that it has benefited you! :)

Frenchie said...

...This is how you got Matt to marry you isn't it ;) lol