Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chickpeas or Spinach?

In my time here in D.C. I've definitely experienced things I never have before, both for good and for bad. I confess that if/when I do leave, I will be a more impatient, less likely to say hello to random people on the street, much more likely to shove little old ladies out of the way on the street, and definitely a more road enraged citizen. Those things are definitely inspiration for me to move somewhere friendlier and quieter.

I have to say though, that one thing I cling to with tenacity and ferocity, is D.C.'s affinity towards all foods Afghan. Most people who visit don't have a very wide range of exposure to the beautiful kabob, or the delicious bread and other accouterments that accompany it. Just today I read an article where yet another magical kabob restaurant has opened close to where I live. Who wants to come with me????

I LOVE KABOBS!! Every time I read about another kabob place I have to go try it out. I remember my very first kabob experience at the aptly-named "Afghan Restaurant" on Route 1; I was surprised and disappointed at the dish that came out with a piece of bread the size of Florida, topped with chunks of meat. No veggies? No decoration? No garnish?

A few months later (still a D.C. novice at this point) I was on my way to meet someone for a guitar lesson, and on a whim decided to bring, as payment, takeout from the Kabob Palace, something for which he had very publicly professed ardent love. I didn't quite understand the obsession (especially with the chickpeas; I prefer spinach myself), but thought what the heck, one for him, one for me, and thus began my journey towards kabob fanaticism...

Since then, I've begun to crave it on a regular basis. Is it heresy that when I read the Kite Runner last summer for the first time, the one thing that struck me was the protagonist's description of his native kabobs and then I wanted to eat them the entire time I was reading?

Anyway, for you D.C. natives out there, which is your favorite kabob restaurant and why? Chickpeas or spinach? What out-of-the-place restaurant do you recommend? For you non-D.C.ers, come out and eat some. Now.

9 comments:

MF said...

The Palace for SURE. Not the 2nd restaurant. The one where you have to stand and order. And is there ANY question?
Two words:
Chick.
Peas.

Two more:
No.
Salad.

Bethany said...

I'm going to agree with my colleague (MF) on this one. Kabob palace is the best, although I am not very experienced in Afghan food. Kabob palace is delicious and within a 5 minute drive of my house. What more could you want.

I also definitely go for the chick peas. In fact, I think that's the one food I've actually had unusual cravings. They are strangely cinnamon, and kind of too spicey, but somehow completely irresistible. I don't even order kabobs. I just get the chick peas. Also, the spinach looks like a pool of vomit. Gross.

abbynormal said...

Wait...if a new place just opened up close to you.....that means it opened up close to ME!!! Let's go!!

Kabob Palace has my heart. As do the chick peas and the rice. Ironically, I was just eating some chick peas from a restaurant on campus and all I could think was, "these are nothing like the Palace's. Chick peas fail!"

DoctorJ said...

Did you really just say "chickpeas fail!"??? Ho ho ho.

Y'all need to come into actual DC and hit up Himalayn Heritage. It's kind of a new place in Adams Morgan. The food is kind of like Indian, but better in it's own way.

If you do go, definitely hit up the spicy cauliflower appetizer. It's worth it for the trip alone.

Check it out on Yelp! http://www.yelp.com/biz/himalayan-heritage-washington

Oh, and for the record, Chickpeas FTW!!!n#FO#L&H fb

jocie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jocie said...

amen to mr. fronce and mrs. scott. chickpeas - YES. salad - NO.

Jenny said...

Have you dined at Moby Dick's House of Kabob in McLean? Amazing kabobs!! The restaurant has a few other locations in the area.

Katie said...

Ahhh... I've been seriously VA homesick lately. Homesick for the people and the food. Kabob Palace is delightful (chickpeas please!), and Moby Dick's is quite tasty (but sadly, no chickpeas). Would you mind packing some up and sending it west?

Asian Keng said...

Miss D I'll bring some next week, how bout? I'll have to try very hard to make sure it makes it all the way through the flight without my eating some. :P

And I have to confess (I put myself on the line here), I don't understand the appeal behind the chickpeas...? They always seem to be superfilling and take away precious stomach space from my beloved lamb and rice and bread. plus, as a former roommate claims, the chickpeas give her indigestion.

More scientific investigation will have to be conducted, of which I am a very willing participant. Who wants to come kabob exploring with me??