Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Favorite Fall Fancies!

Okay, so last week my roommate made me open the bottle of molasses (it still had the seal on it and everything) and smell it, so I would know why I caused such an uproar when I likened it unto vanilla. Yes. It was gross... something akin to tar mixed with sap. Mixed with festering rot. And with the vicsocity of ectoplasm. I have learned my lesson.

With the onset of October, I feel the need to express my joy and delight in my favorite season of the year. As such, I am compiling a List of Happiness (in a randomly generated order: starting seed of 1349, for those of you who care... or know what I'm talking about...):
  • Apple pies baked by My Lovely Roommate
  • The drive down GW Parkway (well, the drive going up is nice too, but coming down means I'm going home)
  • Haunted hayrides (without the haunted part... okay, I guess it would be "hayrides")
  • Corn mazes (again, without people with chainsaws jumping out at you)
  • Apple crisp, apple cider, and apple doughnuts - all at the same time
  • Fall foliage on the East Coast - especially the red leaves
  • Daylight Savings Time! Fall back one hour!! Extra sleep!!! (though I hate it being dark at 4 pm)
  • Sweatshirts. I have like forty of them...
  • Fall bonfires... where the fire actually keeps you nicely warm, instead of broiling you alive during the summer
  • The smell! You know what I'm talking about...
Okay guys, I know you've got a ton of favorite fancies too... don't be shy!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely Jonathan Apples. Also, Halloween...free candy and you get to dress up in really creative costums like when I was grass that one year.

Anonymous said...

Disney's animated "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad."

And Sour Patch Kids -- aka "The Children."

Wendi said...

Soup weather and freshly-baked bread! Tomato soup, Italian tortellini soup, taco soup, homeade chicken noodle soup (if I can ever find frozen egg noodles in this area), chili...

Unprofessional Chef said...

Halloween candy, baking pies, hot cocoa...the works.

PS. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow was written by a guy from Tarrytown, NY. Right near where I live and I'm pretty sure he was referring to Tarrytown as Sleepy hollow...but that could be one of those rumors like when this German guy I knew told me that Pringles were first made in Germany.

jr said...

At the risk of sounding way too much like a boy ... wait ... i am a boy ... nevermind. My two favorite things about the fall are College Football, and the MLB Playoffs. Really, in all honesty, what could be better than those two things? So fun and wholesome. Now, true both of these are made better with the good weather and some apple crisp ... but they would be great by themselves.

Anonymous said...

This is a new favorite since I moved to the DC area: no more humidity! Hooray!

CJ said...

New episodes of "The Office"

Johanna said...

Its that feeling when you step outside and you're not sure where your skin ends and the air begins because the teperature is so perfectly comfortable

Dani said...

My favorite thing is NOT getting out of bed and then immediately jumping back into bed because its so darn cold! However, bring on the flag football, LEAVES CHANGING, and the ever so wonderful lack of GREEN being EVERYWHERE for a while!