Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Found posted on the graduate office fridge...

"You haven't told me yet," said Lady Nuttal, "what it is your fiance does for a living." "He's a statistician," replied Lamia, with an annoying sense of being on the defensive.

Lady Nuttal was obviously taken aback. It had not occurred to her that statisticians entered into normal social relationships. The species, she would have surmised, was perpetuated in some collateral manner, like mules. "But Aunt Sara, it's a very interesting profession," said Lamia warmly.

"I don't doubt it," said her aunt, who obviously doubted it very much. "To express anything important in mere figures is so plainly impossible that there must be endless scope for well-paid advice on how to do it. But don't you think that life with a statistician would be rather, shall we say, humdrum?"

Lamia was silent. She felt reluctant to discuss the surprising depth of emotional possibility which she had discovered below Edward's numerical veneer. "It's not the figures themselves," she said finally, "it's what you do with them that matters."
The Undoing of Lamia Gurdleneck, K. A. C. Manderville


I'm not propagating the holiness of statistical study... I just got a kick out of being perpetuated like mules...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Statisticians have more social skills, in general, than we're given credit for. I've talked to multiple people who are shocked to find out I'm a Statistician. Someone has actually said to my face, "But...you're cool! You have a personality! I don't get it? How can you be a Statistican?!" Um...thanks?

Anonymous said...

Every time I read your blog, I feel as though my own vocabulary is insufficient. I blame it on my Western US education.

Unprofessional Chef said...

Well, every job elicits certain reactions. Take a pastry chef for example. The well-documented textbook response is, "ooh!! you're wife is going to just love you!" Yeah, ummm if you or the last 30 women that said that to me don't want to be my wife, then a lot of good that's going to do me. I mean, seriously...you don't bake a cake for one...not to say that I haven't eaten an entire cake before...which I won't confirm or deny here.

Asian Keng said...

Bruce Bogtrotter beware!

Don't worry Handsome Rob, I still love you...

...Statisticians unite! Though I must say, abbynormal's office has many more exciting characters than mine... so was the shower picture completely naked?

Wendi said...

Wow, how can I compete? But, there was a fellow in Oklahoma named Ken Barbie. Can we say psychological help is most likely in his future?

Wendi said...

Please reference the below blog "Julia Goolia" for my comment's revelance. Umm, technical difficulties that night...

Anonymous said...

yes, it was...

Asian Keng said...

I find it interesting you reference Steve Irwin when he died from job-related hazards? (God rest his soul...) What are you implying?!