Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Chancho! I need to borrow some sweeeats!

I was originally going make this post an homage to the utter respectability and longevity of MacGyver and how he has endured throughout the years (unlike other 80's icons who have pitifully degenerated into objects of abject ridicule, and that does not merit its own post...). Whilst searching for his most recent media endeavor, I stumbled across this:



Now, before you point your fingers and snicker demeaningly (yes, I saw the white sweat pants too), please understand that few things bring back such sweet nostalgia as Super Supau, consumed in mass quantities during my stint as a missionary in hot, humid Taiwan. (well, technically, Pocari Sweat was a high ranker too, but mostly because of its amazing name...) Happy were the moments when, on sunny days nearing 100 degrees and equal parts humidity (during typhoon season, 139% humidity) and relegated to eight hours of biking outside, a short break could be taken inside a refreshing, cool 7/11 and a reviving bottle of 'yinliao' purchased to restore the senses.

Wow, I feel my own stint of tai chi coming on...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Few things bring as much joy to my heart as the thought of Super Supau. Ask me about the story I have about it sometime. Another thing I am reminded of when I think of 7/11 was their 2 for 1 ice cream cones my companion and I would buy three times a day. Who would have thought that instant relief could come in a cone?

Asian Keng said...

Story! Story! I want a story!!!

I still think your monkey with the purple magic marker was the best though...

Asian Keng said...

With permission, the story:

So my companion, elder Junior (names changed for privacy) (my least favorite junior), and I were out in the middle of no where (which wasn't hard in our area of Lu Zhu.) Anyway, I was dying of thirst, but it was Sunday so we couldn't go buy anything. So I pretty much decided that I was going to die. In desperate frustration I yelled out,"I'm so thirsty." Not more than 30 seconds later we pass Guo Ma Ma's house. Guo Ma Ma isn't a member, but her son is in the bishopric in Tainan or something. Anyway, we visited her quite a bit, and she always fed us. Well, as we're passing by her house she yells out to us, "Come Back." (Except it was in chinese of course.) So we turned back and she runs into her house. Moments later she returns with two ice cold Super Supau's, and sends us on her way. I had never had a cry of frustration be remedied so quickly.

so there you have it.

I don't want to brag, but I got a .75 cent raise at work yesterday. I also don't want to brag but I'm the preferred display person.

(I tacked on the .75 cent raise because I thought Handsome Rob was talking about his job as a lifeguard... turns out he's still working at Seagull Book...)