Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Oh where, oh where has my summer time gone...

WHAT HAPPENED TO SUMMER???!??!?!?!?!?!

Every year it feels like an entire month gets shaved off of this precious and carefree time. Every dark and bleak winter we wimpy DCers start whining about how excited we are for summer, and how much we miss the warm weather and all the fun things we're going to do. Every April the temperatures immediately shoot up to 95 degrees (didn't we have, like, a record breaking June or something?) and all of those fun things turn into hermiting inside in the A/C.

I had no idea summer had already drawn to a close until I noticed that school has already started up for the local kiddos. That shocked me. What happened to lazing around by the pool?! (That happened briefly, once.) What happened to camping on the weekends? (Also managed to happen... once... last Saturday) Most importantly, what happened to my poor tomatoes that were supposed to bring forth an abundant of late-season fruit?!??!?!??! (Answer... um... they didn't. There are two sad, rotted, withered tomatoes that managed to spring forth and immediately die. I think they were dead before they were even ripe. Our plants basically deteriorated into a copulation ground for the crunchy beetles that infest our porch. We are terrible farmers.)

A few items we DID manage to accomplish:

Day trip to Baltimore (that alarming shade of red came from two sips of a 7/11 slurpee...!)

Night walks at the monuments (we managed to go during like, the record breakingest hottest night EVER in D.C.... we were out from 9:30 to past midnight and it never dropped below 95. I think we nearly suffered heat stroke)

4th of July at the Lincoln Memorial (my new favorite place to watch the fireworks)

Annual pilgrimage home to see the Hill Cumorah Pageant

I got on a plane twice: once to visit my sister in Texas and once for a wedding in Utah. Both times I wore my long swishy peasant skirt. Both times I managed to get it stuck in my underwear in the bathroom and walk around for a significant amount of time until some kind soul pointed it out (well okay, the first time my horrified sister spotted it within seconds... the second time... I was not so lucky.)

SO... what are YOUR favorite memories/things to do for the summer?


4 comments:

becky said...

AMEN! Since I have the summer off, you'd think I'd be living it up. It's been nice, but I don't feel like I REALLY enjoyed it to it's fullest potential. I so wanted to go camping but it never happened. I did make it to the state fair though, and it was awesome! But I'm pretty convinced that summer isn't really summer unless you take a beach vacation to Mexico or Hawaii :) (Even if you get your face burned off by the sun :P)

Bethany said...

Now that I don't work (and everyday is like a vacation), summer has definitely been replaced by spring and fall as the time to do fun things--when it's not so hot you want to mealt under your 15 layers of clothing. So here's what I want to do this fall:

-Spend a week at the beach
-Visit the deep South
-Go check out the lego display at the building museum

-Eat cookies (September can't come soon enough)
-Go rock climbing
-Watch BYU football
-Take a family picture on the Mall
-Let Colton jump in the leaves

That's a good start for this fall, I think. :)

Doctor J said...

I am impressed that women can use the bathroom wearing a dress without getting undressed. A couple skirt stuck in underwear moments does not diminish my respect for you in the least.

abbynormal said...

I went to a wedding in Salt Lake this summer too, it was pretty awesome. :) Fortunately, I did not have an incident similar to yours.

This summer I discovered a new passion: diving. Seriously. I can't get enough of it. How did I live my life this long without partaking of it? Other favorite summer memory: camping in our backyard because we really wanted to camp and didn't have enough time to get all our stuff together and get out of town before it got dark. And then waking up in the morning and making pancakes shaped like Star Wars characters.

P.S. Great song, by the way.