Friday, April 23, 2010

Time flies when you're having fun!

In exactly one month from today I will have been married one year. ONE YEAR! It definitely goes by fast. I also have realized that in the one year since I've been married, I never posted any wedding pictures (except my banner I suppose) nor any fun wedding stories. I have lots of those, but that's for another time. Well okay here's one picture just because. I'll be posting more later I'm sure. :)
Today I wanted to pay homage to my Converse-wearing husband and why he'sven cooler now than he was a year ago, when we were listing off our "Top 10 Reasons Why I Want to Marry You" that we hastily scribbled on scrap paper from our photo shoot to our reception. Yeah... in Matt's case the procrastination is not surprising but I'm amazed even I'd put it off that long. Unfortunately for Matt, he could only scribble while he was at stoplights since he was driving. :)

Anyway, today's tribute is to Matt's Amazing Talent of Sweet Talking Anyone (But Especially Women). I've never really enjoyed calling people and making appointments/asking for information/purchasing things, etc. etc. I don't know why, it must hearken back to my Girl Scout days knocking on doors selling cookies. Since I've gotten married, the number of times I've had to make "those calls" has fallen to practically zero now that I make Matt do them all. It's because he's GOOD at it! Not only does he get what he wants, usually by the end the customer service rep is telling him that he's 'made their day'... I've personally heard it myself several times.

The specific example I highlight today is from my sister's wedding. We needed to purchase bear grass for her flowers. So I looked up a local florist and called them. My customer service talent:

"Uh hi, I was wondering if you had any bear grass... No? Okay... do you know anyone who does...? No? Okay wellthanksbye."

Hang up. "They don't have any bear grass. I HATE CALLING PEOPLE."

Matt (sweetly): "Here, let me try. What's the next number?" (dials)

"...Hi there - what was your name again? Nancy? Hi Nancy, how are you doing on this wonderful day? ...Yeah? That's so great to hear. I'm so glad to hear it. Isn't this weather wonderful? Y'know I've never really been to Utah before and I just visited the southern part and it's AMAZING. I mean, I wasn't really inclined to like Utah before but now that I've been to the southern part I'm totally converted. Have you ever been down there Nancy? ... No? Well take it from me Nancy, it's AMAZING. Next time you go let me know and I'll suggest places to go... right... haha yes....

Okay well Nancy, the reason why I'm calling today is because my wife's sister is getting married, and you know, it's a big day, and we need this thing called BEAR GRASS. Now Nancy, I'm a GUY, and you know, I don't know anything about this thing called BEAR GRASS, all I know is that I need to find it so my wife's sister can have an amazing wedding. Would you possibly have any of this BEAR GRASS in your wonderful shop?.... No? Oh that's too bad. Okay well-...what? Oh, you can find someone who does?.... Oh Nancy that would be wonderful, you are my hero.... what? ... Oh, you can call ahead and make sure they have it? ... what? Oh, you'll make sure they reserve some under my name so that they'll have it when I get there? ... Oh Nancy you are my hero. I am composing a song in your honor right now... Yes... Yes I am... Okay could I have the address of the place you're calling... Oh you want to give me directions? Okay, well I'm at the Little America... Okay..."

He gets directions, thanks Nancy profusely, sings her a song or two, and hangs up. My dad, who watched/listened to the entire interchange, exclaims "Wow! He is handy to have around! He can talk his way into AAAAAAAnything!'

Yep. Reason number #1,498,390 why Matt is awesome. :)

10 comments:

Matt said...

I don't remember that phone conversation happening quite like that... but sure, thanks baby.

Asian Keng said...

Oh, so I emailed Matt and specifically requested the nasty email he wrote to Redbox after their customer service was less than savory. It's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde... but they both get the job done. ;)

Message: Red Box People,
I am going to try to write this without using any expletives though I doubt I will be successful. I guess I will start by saying that I really like the idea of your product and think the concept is ingenious, that said though, that will probably be the last positive thing I have to say about the crap show that you call a business. I rented “The Insider” on Friday, March 26th 2010 from the Red Box at 4689 King St Alexandria, Va. (It wasn't a bad movie but really kinda got drug out and dull in places, if you have nothing better to watch it will do the trick, anyway) When I tried to return in on the 28th the box was full. I took it down the road to the box at 3480 S Jefferson St Falls Church, VA 22041, turns out that one was broken. I took it home and figured I would try the next day. The next day the box was still full and the other was still broke, the next day I tried to take it to the boxes that your site says are at 4641 Duke St. Alexandria, VA 22304 and 2 S Jordan St Alexandria, VA 22304, only problem was that I couldn’t find any damn boxes and the people in the store looked at me like I had an extra eye when I asked them where they were. The best was yet to come. I brought it to work with me today to try to get rid of the stupid thing and went to the box at 1818 H St NW, Washington, D.C. 20433… THAT’S THE F#@KING WORLD BANK!!! It is like trying to return your movie to Fort Knox. Are you kidding me here people? So I went to the next closest box at 1414 8th St NW Washington, DC 20001 where once again the box was full… FULL AGAIN!!!! I SPENT MY ENTIRE LUNCH AND THEN SOME WALKING AROUND THE STUPID CITY TO RETURN THIS DAMN MOVIE AND I COULDN’T GET RID OF THE THING! Now I think that you have perceived by this point that I am slightly annoyed and more than a little pissed off at this. So here is what I am proposing. One, if you even think of charging me for Sunday the 28th through today, the 31st I am going to freak out on you. Just don’t even think about it. Two, you people are going to give me some free movies to make up for me wasting my time and gas running around to different boxes trying to find one of your contraptions that actually works. And then three, you people are going to figure out a way to keep one of your damn machines running for more than 8 seconds. My e-mail is mattpier@gmail.com, I really truly look forward to hearing back from you about how the hell you are going to make this right.

Thanks ever so much, (In case you can’t tell that is extremely sarcastic)

Matt Pierson

Matt said...

I like to think that they were both very polite in their own ways.

seagoat137 said...

I have witnessed this occurrence SEVERAL times, and it makes me giddy beyond belief that it is also one of your favorite things about Matt. He should tell of you of the time we spent chatting up a telemarketer that called on one of our cell phones in college. I'm pretty sure that by the end of the conversation he was not only able to successfully remove our friend's name from the list, but he probably could have also convinced the caller to buy their own product that they were trying to pitch.

Matt, in addition to being like the big brother I never had, is also kinda my personal hero (or, as I'm sure he'll sing to you, the wind beneath my wings). Thanks for posting this :)

-Casey

seagoat137 said...

... And congratulations on almost a whole year of marriage!! I hope Matt shared with you the text that I sent him after you and I chatted wedding stuff over email. I'm beyond ecstatic that you two found each other
=D <-- that's my ecstatic face.

Jenny said...

I'm glad you guys are having so much fun. You're such an awesome couple!!

becks said...

And this is reason #123 why I'm still on Team Matt! You're both awesome :)

Christina said...

Seriously. Matt, you are MY hero. I suck royally at doing that kind of thing too, so anytime you want to step in and take over any of my own customer service calls, PLEASE be my guest! Also, congratulations on (nearly) one whole year of marriage! Hooray! Also, I love you both. That's all. :)

abbynormal said...

So...what happened with Red Box??

Asian Keng said...

Abby -- (not that anyone will ever read this, given it's August now), Red Box wrote back a very polite (well, more like hiding behind a large rock frantically waving a white flag) email kindly refunding us our money and also gave us six Red Box codes to use for one-day future rentals. Which was fine and all, but most of the times we've rented videos, we still run into the same issues getting them back.