Friday, August 08, 2008

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Once every four years the world comes together and, under the guise of international unification, competes over a period of two weeks in the name of "Faster, Higher, Stronger." While recent politics have tarnished the upcoming Olympic Games (as well as the pollution), I will refrain from any political commentary... mostly because you all know I am far too under-informed to be capable of it.

I will publicly state (and this is my first political opinion... EVER) that I fully support President Bush's appearance at the Games, despite angry outbursts to the contrary, because I feel that the purpose of the Olympics is for everyone to "get along" for two weeks, regardless of any potential shortcomings of the host, the hostee, etc. It is not the athletes' fault that the host country of the Olympics is censoring Internet usage, or violated human rights, and I completely agree that these things are indeed serious, serious issues. Ironically, being intimately familiar with Chinese culture and customs, I see the double standard the Chinese government is setting in simultaneously setting unreasonable policies (as well as their non-Olympic related actions) but yet expecting everyone to be outwardly polite and courteous when "company" is over. In that vein, I feel that our nation's president is saving China's face by showing up, not to mention respecting our American athletes by publicly supporting them. What kind of face could we, as Americans, put on if our own leader didn't support our athletes at the most prestigious event they'll ever compete in? The point of the Olympics is to get together and play, and then after two weeks, then can we go home and resume arguing again? It's all we've ever done anyway, let's just take a temporary break and watch some pretty people run and swim.

And thus ends any and all of my semi-political rant. :P

Back to warm fuzzy unification... I have always been more of a Winter Olympic fan, given my ardent passion for figure skating (yes, I have the signatures of all the 1992 Olympic skaters... Elvis Stojko, Philippe Candeloro, anyone? Anyone?) but I became an enthusiastic supporter of summer sports in 2000, when my trampoline injury rendered me completely incapacitated and bedridden for months, and my only option on my 5-channel TV in my room was to watch the Sydney games. (Speaking of trampoline, didn't they introduce that as an official Olympic sport... what happened to it?) The Olympics are one of those interesting events that make instant international celebrities of its participants, only to have them fade completely away from the public eye, until the next Olympics foists fame upon them once again.

Case in point: Michael Phelps. He was the darling of the 2004 games, winning six gold and two bronze medals and his own street in Baltimore (I almost attended that parade... ALMOST.) Then what happened to him? Not much that I can recall... a DUI shortly afterwards, maybe an AT&T endorsement? But now he's back with a vengeance (and a... Fu Manchu mustache...?) and ready and poised to rivet the attention of every human being on this planet with access to a TV, computer, phone, or radio. I'm admitting he's my personal favorite for these games (lerpy AND world domination? Bring it on!) and his 23 years makes it much more acceptable for me to publicly declare a crush than it was when he was only 19. :)

But friends, who have been your favorite Olympic athletes? Your favorite Olympic moment? I clearly remember being in 8th grade and having my math teacher run into my English class screaming "DAN JANSEN FINALLY WON!!!" and watching his victory lap that night on television as he dedicated his medal to his late sister, while Mariah Carey's "Hero" played in the background. Oh, I tear up a little just thinking about it now. I remember the beauty of Gordeeva and Grinkov's long routine in 1994, shortly before Grinkov tragically passed away at the age of 28 from a heart attack. I remember the thrilling moment Kerri Strug landed her final vault, thus winning the women's gymnastics for the United States in 1996. The thrill, beauty, and impressive endurance and tenacity of the human body and the limits to which it can be pushed are what make the Olympics memorable for me.

So share and share alike... what do you love most about the Olympics?

6 comments:

Unprofessional Chef said...

I just love a good old international gaming scandal. Like when Tonya Harding had Nancy Kerrigan taken out at the knees, or the debacle with the judging of th pairs figure skating at the 2002 Salt Lake Games. Come on Olympics, let's see your seedy underbelly.

Anonymous said...

I'm rooting for 41 year old swimmer Dana Torres. 41 and swimming faster than you ever have before...amazing. My favorite summer Olympic sport, however, is rowing. I watched the some of the races during the 2000 Olympics and told myself, "I need to do that." So just as soon as I round up a team and a boat, I'm off to the Great Salt Lake to row my heart out.

Christina said...

I saw Elvis Stojko in the Olympic Village when I was a volunteer at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake. If he hadn't been flocked by about 20 female fans, I would have asked for an autograph. Stupid fans.

As far as these olympic games, I can't say that I have a favorite, besides Phelps, since I really don't know much about anyone else. But oh boy do I ever remember my favorite Olympic moments. I guess I also have mostly strong memories of Winter Olympics, and Dan Jansen is definitely at the top, since he's a WI boy (thrown in there are a few other WI-born speedskaters like Bonnie Blair and another skater that went to my high school, but I can no longer name), I had the hugest crush on...crud, what was his name? Whatever - he was a US male figure skater who competed in '92 or '94, I think - looked like your typical boy next door w/ humongous eyebrows? Anyone? Definitely Kerri Strug, Nadia Comaneci. I was SO In love w/ her as a little girl! I wanted to BE her. I was also enthralled by Jackie Joyner Kersee and her sister Flo-Jo. Those were two machines. Gone too soon, Flo-Jo. Gone too soon.

Dani said...

I have to laugh, just going back through memories. I remember I finally loved the winter sports when a girl named Picaboo Street came on the scene and dominated!!!! Oh how i loved Chapstick for a while after she promoted it too. She rocked it out. I remember dying to see gymnastics w/ Strug and co. and all of the Figure Skating adventures with the old time greats!! Kristi, Nancy, etc. Loved them. Even though I hid my love for the 'girlie' sports at the time--- I sure loved them!

Bethany said...

Oh so many Olympic memories. I have to admit that I have long been an Olympic junkie. I don't think I missed a single moment of the 2004 Olympics--and Michael Phelps was an obvious favorite at that time. I particularly like how he would remove his olive leave garland from his head for the national anthem. Very cute.

I love gymnastics. Do you remember Shannon Miller? How about Kim Zmeskal? I couldn't stand that little Dominique girl that came in at age 12 and was supposedly the favorite. I feel the same about Tara Lapinski. I thought Michelle Kwan totally should have had it that year.

I'm kind of glad they're over now so that I can get a little more sleep...

Jenny said...

This comment is not related to the Olympics ... just wanted to drop you a note to tell you I miss you!! I've been thinking aboutchu and hope you are well:)

Kisses, Jen